Home and Away… with you each day! Let me be the one etc.

Tuesday 11 March 2014

We didn’t get the best television in South Africa when I was growing up. It was the end of the 80s/early 90s, we lived in a dingy coal mining town on the outskirts of Johannesburg and it was apartheid. We were lucky to get some British comedies every now and then but what all South Africans were predominantly hooked on during that time was soap operas. My poison of choice was the Aussie soaps, Neighbours and Home and Away. So you can imagine my excitement when the first trip we took in Australia was to the very town where Home and Away is filmed – Avalon. I sang the opening song at every opportunity (I was real popular in the car by the end of the weekend). I took so many photos, here is just a taster of them. 

Wishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingIMG_0238Wishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful Thinking

All photos by Wishful Thinking

7 comments

  1. I remember my sister and I racing home from school to watch Neighbours and Home and Away! Seeing this beach brought back so many memories!! What a wonderful trip x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching those soaps, did you ever think you'd be there someday? Gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it that you got to go to the place you watched on TV! All I'd have to do is go (back) to Southern California because all my favorite TV shows growing up were filmed there. That beach is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh geezus that beach is beautiful... so jealous. And planning a trip to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this makes me so happy. when i was stuck, er i mean i lived in northern england one of the only bright spots in my day was watching aussie soaps! neighbours was my favorite if i remember correctly. that beach is so gorgeous! how fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, fantastic. how I envy you the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being in a place you watched on tv must have been awesome! The place that comes into mind for me is Sesame Street. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!