My Fair London – The Royal Opera House

Friday 10 June 2011

Recently, my friend told me her hubby took her to the ballet. ‘What? Men do that?’ was my response. So of course I marched home like a woman scorned and demanded to be taken to the ballet. Once Jordan had stopped laughing and realised I was serious his response: ‘absolutely no @%&*!? way’. So my friend took matters into her own hands and surprised me with tickets to see Cinderella at the Royal Opera House. I was so excited - there is just something old-world and civilized about getting dressed up and watching the ballet, especially in the grandeur of the Royal Opera House.

We settled down into our seats and watched in awe as the orchestra started and beautiful dancers did their thing on stage. We joked about how the boys would have been asleep by the opening act, and then… well.. errrmm… don’t judge ok, but I kind of got sleepy (and we may or may not have left earlier). The performance and experience was breath taking but 3 hours? We just couldn’t last! Needless to say, we have been teased mercilessly for being uncultured!

Read more about My Fair London posts here.

image

image

image

image

image

IMG_3402

IMG_3406

IMG_3412

IMG_3433

IMG_3413

IMG_3419 IMG_3410

IMG_3435

IMG_3401IMG_3411 IMG_3428

IMG_3438

Click on performance images to go to source, all other images by Wishful Thinking

18 comments

  1. Those pictures are wonderful and I love going to the ballet. Men can be a bit funny sometimes, after all it's not like you've asked him to actually dance along, is it? ;-) Have a lovely weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos! Oh how I love the ballet! My husband has been gone and I've been watching documentary after documentary on the Paris ballet, or Russian ballerinas. So beautiful and graceful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, have to admitt I nearyl feel alseep at the abllet once but in my defense I was dying of the flu - love the shots of the tutus how tiny are the waists !!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, love the photos! While it looks beautiful, 3 hrs is a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I'm so jealous of your London adventures, doll!
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the ballet {though hubs would never go for it!} … the display of athleticism and the costumes are so intriguing … oh, and the live music … LOVE!

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ballet looks magnificent! Thanks for checking out my blog. I am now following you on your fabulous blog...hope you do the same!

    www.ciaonewportbeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your story of conveying your need to be taken to the ballet and Jordan's response. So good I'm not the only one who gets laughed at for my 'cultured' requests, and I've also been known to doze off here and there...haha, glad you went, sounds like fun!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you! Would so want to go to a ballet but yeah not sure just about any guy would be into it...but hey, that is what girlfriends are for, no? Glad you had fun - even if you got a little sleepy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The venue and show look amazing! Nicolex

    PS I went looking for Kate's LK Bennett shoes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the ballet and dragged my husband once and that will probably be the last. That's what girlfriends are for though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is hilarious - I actually had a similar ballet experience with my Dad! He and my Uncle took my cousin and I to the ballet - they basically slept through the whole thing! 3 hours is just too long.

    -j
    sorelle in style

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowza! Love all the ballerina costumes...just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These photos are gorgeous! I'm inspired to go to the ballet. I love to watch professionals dance...so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh well, at least you were surrounded by good architecture and lovely costume design. I love the ballet but I can see how the music can make you a bit sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally know what you mean, as amazing and talented as those dancers are, three hours is a looooong time to sit! There is a reason that movies try to keep it under two hours, people! (c: But that looks divine, and I definitely love a good excuse to get all dressed up (c:

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love ballet! But yeah after awhile it becomes less and less impressive haha.

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!