Ancient Beauty

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Norway has always been a country that has intrigued me, even more so after coming across these beautifully preserved ancient timber ‘stavkirke’ or stave churches. Below are pictures of the Borgund stave church (built between AD 1180 and 1250) which happens to be the best preserved stave church in Norway. It is so unbelievably beautiful, I don’t think any words could do it justice! I can’t wait to check it out in person – a trip to Norway is definitely on the cards!

P.S There is a replica of the Borgund stave church in Rapid City, South Dakota if you can’t make the trip to Norway to check it out.

image

image

image

image image

Click on the image to go to it’s source.

14 comments

  1. extraordinary! full of majesty and mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, would also love to go to Norway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would kill to go to Norway - I'm obsessed with Scandinavian history and mythology. This is just amazing.

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsideline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect timing...my husband and I are going to Norway in August for a wedding - you just added to the excitement! I'll have to look on the map to see if this is close to where we will be...regardless this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God that is awesome, have always wanted to go to Norway!
    xo
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous images and the detail inside is stunning.

    Abigail x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful images and with the snow in the background, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Love that first image, it looks so magnificent. And the interior looks very intriguing. Would love to visit one day! Great find.

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! For all of my travels I have glaringly missed Northern Europe and hope to get to go someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would LOVE to visit norway! I left you an award on my blog ps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful images. Would love to see it someday too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha. of course north dakota would have one. i can't wait to travel europe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I've never heard about this place, but it looks like something out of a fairytale!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beutiful church!
    we are very proud of it.
    I have grown up on the farm in the back :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!