Grand Designs Down Under

Wednesday 13 July 2011

To say I am a huge fan of Grand Designs would be an understatement. I think I have seen every episode – I just love watching people’s dream homes be realised. Australia has now started their version of the hit UK show, I was a little sceptical about it, wondering if it would live up to very high expectations but I saw the first episode earlier this week and I was totally blown away! The extraordinary story follows Chris Clarke who spent 2 years building his dream home in Gippsland, Australia, when less than a week after completion, it was totally burnt down in the Black Saturday bushfires. Chris slowly slipped into depression but after recovering from his grief, he dusted himself off and was determined to rebuild his dream. He set about salvaging parts of the burnt out wreckage to reuse and created probably one of the most beautiful houses I have ever seen featured on Grand Designs.

I don’t think the pictures really do it justice so if you can, check out the episode, or watch the quick walk-through here.

image

image

The burnt out wreckage of Chris’s home – he ended up reusing some of the glass and metal that hadn’t melted. He also incorporated some of the burnt bits into his new design.

image

What he recreated – Chris wanted a house that was sustainable, rustic and organic. The whole structure is clad in metal sheets which are designed to weather and rust to a certain depth, these sheets actually protect the building and cover the layers and layers of fireproofing membranes.  

image

Recycled water tank found in the bush near the house. The beautiful weathered timber used in the interior was recycled from nearby piers. 

image

image

image

A roof garden!

image image

Pond

Untitled-3

Bedroom

The front door opens right into the bedroom! I love that the pond extends inside under the glass at the back of the bed!

Untitled-1

Untitled-2

The magnesium pool for detoxing (the pool level is actually higher than the floor level inside).

Pool 2

Pool

image

Sink

Untitled-5

The kitchen counter was recycled, it still has scorch marks on it from where it burnt in the fire.

Dining Room

All images via Lifestyle.com.au

24 comments

  1. I LOVE grand designs too! I was skeptical when they started the one here but I still think it is a great show. This particular episode was so inspiring!

    Laura
    whitewinters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look amazing. Will def look out for this episode here in nz. I too am a GD addict! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving your lovely comment. Lovely to brighten someone's day. C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have watched all the GD UK episodes. I did not see this one..... Sounds like an amazing story. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade. This is stunning! And it looks like such a serene place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiring story. The end result is quite gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, this place is stunning! i would love to live there - seems so peaceful! hope you are having a lovely day! xoxo danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, this takes my breath away! Wonder if i can watch this episode online - i can't figure out which is my favourite part!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh how creative. I love.
    xo
    Alexa
    www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredible story - love how he incorporated parts of the original building.

    PS Have a wonderful time in Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm clearly out of the loop. I've never heard of this show. That house is UNbelievable!!! It's gorgeous but the story and the addition of the old recovered pieces makes it even more spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those sinks are magical. Love everything about this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this home. my next comment is obvious but so true that i'd like to rent his home from him for the night, "It's just so Australian!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh God. I'd be devastated if that happened to me.
    Cheers to him for starting over again. What an inspirational story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO amazing! I love how the incorporated the outdoors into their domestic space. Very Frank Llyod Wright Fallingwater, no? xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow!! these living spaces are INCREDIBLE! I seriously would love for this to be my vacation home.

    xoxo, chrissy from the perfect palette.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i would def live here. that roof top garden and the outdoor/indoor feel of the whole house. love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gorgeous!! I love grand designs! I had no idea an Australian one had started, I will definitely be watching this soon!!

    ps have fun in greece!! jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. a roof garden and that pool - in love!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am def a country girl at heart and this house would not be for me. but good for chris.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That must be so incredible to be able to design your own house from scratch. But I guess also a huge pressure to get every last detail right. There would be no excuse about having to work with what you have!!

    I love Grand Designs too. Have you seen Kevin McCloud's Paint Colour book? I think it mainly has British brands but it's LOVELY!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  21. That house is incredible! I too am speechless. Everything about it is just grand and pure perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an incredible story! I absolutely love unique homes like this:) I love your blog by the way! I'm very new to the blogging scene so I like to get ideas of what I'd like for my blog to become by looking at others! Feel free to take a look any time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! super! wonderful! I loved ur Interior Decoration of houses..
    Houses in Australia

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!