Pining…

Thursday 10 January 2013

I have not been very pleasant company of late. I didn’t realise the extent of this until I pushed the limits of my very patient husband’s patience yesterday morning by snapping at him for the umpteenth time. Words were exchanged, doors were slammed and I spent the rest of the morning plotting his demise, until I got into work and found an apology email from him… repenting for something that really wasn’t his fault at all. I felt wretched and spoilt and annoyed with myself. But along with these feelings came my lightbulb moment - the meaning behind my bad mood. I am homesick. Sick to your stomach, want to throw yourself on the ground with flailing arms and legs whilst simultaneously wailing kind of homesick. I’m missing the mountains, the wide-open spaces and the beaches, but mostly the comfort and familiarity of home. So whilst I can’t just hop on a plane and be there tomorrow, I thought I would self-medicate and post some of the images that brought me some comfort (along with a healthy dose of wailing and a humungous glass of wine of course).

Wishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful Thinking

12 comments

  1. Oh, I know how you feel and it's not a nice feeling... Looking at these pictures I can imagine it would make it even worse - what a beautiful place! Unfortunately I don't have a remedy for homesickness. Hope you feel better soon xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so sorry - horrible to be missing home. We are all rejoicing in the days getting a little bit longer - we can take the cold rainy weather, but the lack of sunlight is terrible! Enjoy some tea & fabulous pastry.....chin up

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. now I'm homesick, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be hard to feel homesick. I hope you'll be able to visit soon. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Meghan! I hope 2013 is full of happiness and perhaps a trip home? Hope you're feeling less homesick, these photos are so beautiful, they would make me feel worse though!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I was having lunch on my own, I thought about your post, this post and I've been missing my family and been experiencing a bit of separation anxiety/homesickness since I came back. I think home is calling you to go back. These are beautiful photos. I wish you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are beautiful, and it's making me all wanderlust-y, too. I'm so sorry you're feeling homesick, but good thing you've got a good mad to help you through any "tantrums" :) I've found that when I get restless and want to travel, I hop into Google Earth and visit all my favorite places and the feeling goes away a little bit. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who wouldn't be homesick for someplace like that? Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can you not be pining for such a gorgeous country? Homesickness is a terrible feeling.I lived in Spain for 12 years and for the first 3 years it would just hit me at the most inopportune moments. It does eventually subside/go though xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I know the feeling of being homesick all too well. Usually I call my mom then or a friend to catch up on any news back in the hometown but sometimes that makes me even sadder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that sucks! And you're so lucky to have such a lovely Mr! I'm always blown away by the beautiful photos you are posting of your surroundings in London & England, and I often think "how amazing to have that on your doorstep". But I remember my visits to England, as much as I loved them, it was always fantastic to come home to NZ. So I can appreciate how you must feel. Any chance you'll be heading back to South Africa? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howzit, Doll? I hope you're feeling better by now. I was also feeing homesick & knew visiting your site would make me feel better. What a treat to see pics from home! Thx for the wonderful pick me up. Now all I need is a cola tonic & some Simba chips and all will be lekker! Too bad I'd have to travel 3000 miles for this treat, but a girl can dream....

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!