Monday snoop – the perfect workplace

Monday 4 February 2013

I never really knew what I wanted to do for a living as a child, all I knew was that I didn’t want to end up in a clinical stuffy office with fluorescent lighting, cubicles and bulky office equipment – convinced that it was these things that would slowly suck the life out of me. And well… as fate would have it, that’s exactly where I ended up. However, I am lucky to work in a lovely part of London in an industry that I love (thankfully sans cubicles) but a big part of me still longs for that perfect job working with my hands in a beautiful office space that is solely my own. When I came across jeweller Aaron Ruff’s Brooklyn Studio, it was total love at first sight. This is the kind of space that features regularly in my dreams. Aaron likens his studio to “the inside of an old ship”, filled with nooks and crannies and mechanical relics from the early 1800s to 1950s. His favourite item (and mine) in his workspace is an American flag dating from around 1890 with 42 stars, which he found in the crawl space of an old house. I particularly love the moody lighting and of course, the cute pooch.

Aaron Ruff's Brooklyn StudioAaron Ruff's Brooklyn StudioAaron Ruff's Brooklyn StudioAaron Ruff's Brooklyn StudioAaron Ruff's Brooklyn StudioAaron Ruff's Brooklyn StudioAaron Ruff's Brooklyn StudioAaron Ruff's Brooklyn Studio

Images via

13 comments

  1. I'm always drawn to an original work space. Have a wonderful week, Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That space is filled with history, very inspirational.
    I always enjoy a sneak peek inside artists' studios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how beautiful. Love this space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how personalized his space is. It's always so interesting to look into one's studio and find their personality and style reflected in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. love this place. my favorite are the bikes on the wall...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't believe he found that flag! finding something like that is truly amazing - it's priceless. i, too, wish i had a little office like that in brooklyn. just a freer workspace, i think, is what makes it appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting and quirky workspace. It makes all the difference having a comfortable and inspiring place to work.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks like a place i could literally snoop around in for hours. i bet he has all sorts fo neat things to hold and look through. what a find with the flag, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love everything about his office. That flag is amazing!!! Nothing like having rich history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This studio is fascinating!! And his assistant, the dog is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a treasure trove! I love the digby and Iona sign - feels so wes anderson!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love seeing a 'man space' that is totally cool and creative! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't quite get used to the beige-ness of the typical office space - I'd like to pick up and relocate to a space like this

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!