If I were a minimalist…

Monday 5 November 2012

Minimalist is not a word I feel altogether comfortable with. I know stress experts are constantly telling us to ‘de-clutter’, ‘downsize’, ‘let go’. These words make me run for the hills. I’m definitely not a hoarder but I do like the comfort and warmth of multiple layers. When it comes to cleaning and finding extra space, there is no doubt that my love of clutter adds to my stress levels – I guess this is why I can’t help but admire the discipline of Scandinavian design. The house I am posting about today is not exactly Scandinavian, (it’s in Amagansett, NY), but it’s not surprising that the owner is from Finland. The house was originally modelled on a potato barn but when the owners bought it, it was in such a state of neglect that the only things worth saving were some pieces of timber and the patio stones. With the help of a team of young architects, they brain-stormed and toiled to create a thing of pure beauty.

What do you think?

06well-laakkonen-slide-OVS2-jumbo06well-laakkonen-slide-9Z9D-jumbo06well-laakkonen-slide-1YJK-jumbo06well-laakkonen-slide-O8NF-jumbo06well-laakkonen-slide-GSUZ-jumbo06well-laakkonen-slide-QSSU-jumbo

Images via

20 comments

  1. I think it's beautiful, but I would change one thing: I would buy fluffier rugs. I think it's the cold outside talking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny because I'm far from being a minimalist but I do love Scandinavian spaces, full of white walls and whitewashed wooden floorboards. I like a calm base palette to temper the brights I then mix in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. I like everything to be organised, but I'm definitely not a minimalist. I lake layers too, they add interest and dynamics. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's fantastic. but don't you think these places might look a little more cluttered if they weren't done up for a photo shoot? I like a minimalist base to spread a certain amount of my stuff all over it. that way I know the clean and empty space I sometimes need is right there and I just need to tidy up for half an hour to have peace of mine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's pretty but dare i say - a little too much white? the butterfly wallpaper is a nice tough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bedroom is beautiful! It gave me any idea how we'd design our bedroom soon.

    Tiffany G. Richert, A Proponent of Simple Living

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the tranquility this house exudes..plus it's warm and homey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely not a minimalist -- more to the other extreme, I would say, which is why that third picture strikes my fancy. A little gallery wall -- my walls are filled to the brim. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could maybe be that minimalist. Especially love that small art gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i hear exactly what you are saying. this is perfect, i need that cozy feeling of textures and visual interest in layers. but my stress level could also be well with a little more negative space in my home. i adore that bedroom with the fireplace by the way. perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm definitely a minimalist. I keep all my surfaces clutter free/stuff free save for a candle or something small, and I instantly feel better about a space, haha. I throw everything away, and I totally strive for a sleek Scandinavian home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meghan, this is such a lovely house--I love the feeling of spaciousness and those blue textile covered couches and poufs are so beautiful--they have me dreaming!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so with you on this one and I like the way you described it as "layering" White will always be a backdrop for me to "layer" upon and make all cozy!!! What a great combo .... Scandinavian style in Amagansett, NY ..... I would love to visit both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it- I would say their hard work definitely paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always trying to declutter. I don't like sparse. I like warm and cozy.So hard to strike the right balance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am loving this look...so fresh and clean. White floors...pure joy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's beautiful. The bedroom is a little too minimalist for me but the rest of the space is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I looked at the pictures first and I was sure it was a Scandinavian house, then I read the text : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like how the bedroom is decluttered but I'm loving that living room with books just stacked all over - that is totally my type of home

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful inspiration, I could live like that as well!
    Wonderful! X

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!