Mountains And Such

Sunday 13 July 2014

In order to get to the Karoo from the coast, you need to drive over the winding mountain pass. It’s the kind of drive that gives you grey hairs and takes a few years off your life. Dairy and other farm trucks come tearing around the corners, not caring who they take out in the process. It was the one occasion during our holiday that I was happy to be sandwiched in between my grandmother and my sister in the back seat of the car. Risk of death aside, it’s an absolutely beautiful drive with plenty of pull-over stops to take the perfect pictures. I know I have posted that picture of me looking out on the mountain before but it’s probably my favourite picture of the whole trip. I was thinking about all the visits I had made to that particular spot throughout my life. As a child with my bickering parents when the pass was first built, on a school trip where I nearly had heatstroke, as a foolish drunken teenager who mooned passers-by, as a love-sick teenager (who had just met Jordan), and then, as an adult who could no longer call it home. For someone who’s mind is always churning, it was a rare moment of peace. It seemed to descend on us all and the drive back (by way of farm market) became somewhat subdued. My sister later told me that that particular spot had become popular for loved ones to scatter the ashes of those they had lost. I couldn’t think of a better resting place.

Wishful Thinking

Wishful Thinking

Wishful Thinking

My grandmother and Jordan. She adores him.

Wishful Thinking

Wishful Thinking

Wishful Thinking

South Africans never joke about bacon… 

Wishful Thinking

Wishful Thinking

Wishful Thinking

IMG_0321

Images | Wishful Thinking

5 comments

  1. looks amazing. I can see why you and everyone else loves it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains of Eastern Tennessee, so everything you've written resonates with me so completely. My mountains are tamer than yours, but the peace you find is the same for me. Where I live now is so completely and absolutely... FLAT. I love the ocean, but I miss my mountains. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit late in this, I know, but what a wonderful new blog layout! Love all these photos, especially of your gran and husband. Such genuine, happy smiles!! Looks like you survived that mountain pass :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was really moving and so eloquently written. i know that those feelings you speak of and it's wonderful when you find peace between the past and the present. and those photos! those mountains. gorgeous. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh MY! Now that's truly worth it (aren't treacherous roads always that way)

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!