Look up!

Wednesday 19 June 2013

As we carted the umpteenth bin bag filled to the brim with junk out of the house on Sunday, I bewilderedly plonked myself on a box and pondered where exactly I managed to put all of this stuff for the last 5 years. I mean we live in a dolls house for goodness sake! I can only surmise that I became very clever with how I hid stored stuff.  Well not anymore people. Our new house will have clever and accessible storage (no junk stuffed in to dark corners), and I will not hoard. There now I have said it you can hold me to it. I’m really liking the idea of open shelving, specifically the under-utilised space above a door. I’m just slightly apprehensive about my poor DIY skills - wouldn’t want to walk through the door and get KO’d my a shelf!

Wishful Thinking34a0c5db058625d80b62b280c94cb24cWishful ThinkingWishful Thinking483d825ad75ca9cd07bbd20bd5c3f1a3Wishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful ThinkingWishful Thinking908eb8406fc719c879bdd4c5dbd7db39

8 comments

  1. Inevitably, something would fall on my head as well - I'm totally with you there

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never had a shelf above a door before, but it does look charming in a cottage. The open shelving in a kitchen makes things easier to find. Happy packing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally having flashbacks to the Home Alone movies, with all those boobytraps with things above the door frames, haha. But seriously, I love the idea of open storage -- notice I said "idea" because I'm not convinced I can pull it off and have it look this great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the idea of open storage too, i just like it for someone else because i know it would look more like exposed messes in my house. someday, someday i will be organized enough for open storage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first saw this idea in a Martha Stewart book and loved it. Especially with some ornate corbels/knee brackets. I thought perhaps I would put it above my bathroom door for some much needed storage.... of course keeping it nice & tidy up there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos make me wish I had elegant types of junk :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never be able to say I will never hoard anything because I am pretty good at filling empty spaces ;) That's also a reason why I only like open shelving in other people's houses because I would only fill them up with junk. Love the look though! The shelves above the doors on your picture selection are such a great way to display a lovely collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Open shelving rocks, we're looking at some for our kitchen and the kids' rooms. That's one good thing about having to pack - it forces you to seriously declutter. x

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!