The Ultimate Bake Off!

Thursday 23 February 2012

I am in a bit of a pickle. In an effort to make work a little less stressful and a little more fun, our office is having a bake-off. The entrance fee is £5 and the winner takes all. Serious stuff obviously. I am in it to win it, but there is one big problem…. I am the World’s Crappest Baker. Everything I have ever baked has either flopped, dried out, turned a funny colour, or in the case of the infamous microwave cake – exploded. We’ve had a couple of bakers strut their stuff already, and the level of genius is worryingly high. Pinterest has been a tremendous help but I am appealing to all you super women/men out there: do you have a baking crowd pleaser that someone of my…ehem… skill could bake? If so, please please help me out with a recipe?

Here are the contenders so far:

Coconut Cloud Cake

imageVia Lilac and Grey

Chocolate Swirled Peanut Butter Blast Cake (I especially love the ‘blast’)

imageVia Pinterest

Dulce de Leche Cake

imageVia Royal Coconut

Chocolate Graham Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow

imageVia Tendercrumb

John’s Three-Layer Apple Cake

imageVia Martha Stewart

Ultimate Coconut Cake

imageVia Martha Stewart

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake

imagevia Lark and Linen Blog

Strawberry Lemonade Layer Cake

imageVia Easybaked.net

Streusel Topped French Toast Cupcakes with Buttercream

imagevia Bakingdom.com

Mint Oreo Cupcakes

imagevia Lemonademakinmamma.com

14 comments

  1. The coconut cake (first one) looks heavenly! I love baking and I think the secret is to really stick to the recipe. Unlike with cooking where I tend to do my own variations, baking is more of a science and needs correct measurements. All I can say is get a nice recipe and follow it to the dot... Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very unique approach to stress reduction in the office! Personally, I am rarely more stressed than while baking. Your recipe selection looks great. Cupcakes are probably more forgiving (you can prune out those that don't work!) and I'd avoid the marshmallow unless you feel very confident with a piping bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness make that dulce de leche cake. and send me a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'd win with those cupcakes! Who doesn't love s'mores? It's a twist on a beloved classic. That's a crowd-pleaser if I ever saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I'm craving dessert now and it's nine o'clock in the morning here. Not good. I like to search online for recipes rated "easy" with very high user ratings on food network. It's helped me find good recipes that are quick and easy. Best of luck! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg- I just want to stick my face in a cake right now. I'd say go with something that (looks) simple and has a wow presentation factor (like the dulce de leche). Plus, "Dulce De Leche" just sounds fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm drooling! I don't know which one to choose! LOL!
    Have a nice day! Love, Olga
    P.S.: now following also via bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, now I'm drooling! Too much good stuff to see at 9.30am! :) xo K

    ReplyDelete
  9. That coconut cloud cakes is seriously making my mouth water and is certainly eye candy. All you have to do is make any kind of cake and make it look really puurrrrrrty. Let us know what you end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why oh why did I find your blog while I was hungry? I was almost drooling on the keyboard... These all look delicious and are going on the must test list! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That coconut cloud cake ... can I just say, OH MY GOD! I just want to go face-first into it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pinned that Strawberry Lemonaide cake myself. Looks delish! Good Luck and Best Wishes from your newest follower!
    Emily... thepostscriptofemilywilsondesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!