It’s Friday night date night and my guy and me will be chilling in front of a horror movie stuffing our faces with popcorn and milkshakes. Some might call this sad, I call this bliss! With some pride (and a little bit of terror) I realised that we are coming up for another anniversary soon which will mean we have now officially spent a third of our lives together. This is kinda a big deal for us! My best friend once joked that we were just meant to be together, but at this statement, I threw my head back and laughed a fully belly laugh. Unfortunately, there is no magic ingredient to making it work, it takes damn hard work, perseverance and compromise and you can bet that there will be days when you want to put your partner’s head through the television. I thought this excerpt in last week’s Grazia magazine summed it up really well:
A few rules you may wish to ponder:
- Never look up old flames on Facebook. It can only end in tears.
- Always earn your own money, so you never have to justify to anyone else but yourself that those £970 Isabel Marant boots are a genuinely smart investment.
- Go on regular ‘date nights’. They remind you of the days when you used to laugh about random stuff. And that you actually like each other.
- Stress is a fact of life, not a competitive sport.
- That moth-eaten Stone Roses t-shirt is a passion killer. Get rid.
- Ditto the boxer shorts his mom gave him for Christmas in 1992.
- A cleaner will save your marriage and quite possibly your life.
- So will a second TV.
- Try really hard to be nice to his mom.
- Finally, as Jilly Cooper quite rightly says, if you get through the tough bits, 50 years on you’ll be rewarded with the ‘loveliness’ and ‘companionship’ of two people who have fought to make it work.
It also helps when your boyfriend goes out of his way to take a picture of a strange but beautiful building for your blog… yip, he’s a keeper!