Bali, the lure of the rice paddies

Monday 2 March 2015

Did I tell you about the rice paddies in Bali? I don’t think I did. We spent the majority of our time in Ubud, a small artistic town tucked away in the mountains and most importantly, far from the maddening crowds of Kuta and Seminyak. However, I should point out that nothing in Bali is laid back - the streets are constantly bustling, from dawn until late into the night. Shops never seem to close, people never seem to sleep and buzzing scooters are a constant drone of white noise. That is until you find a rice paddy. Then finally the welcome hush and you can think again. We meandered through the rice paddies for hours on end, marvelling at the lush green lands, realising that we were seeing rice being farmed for the very first time (much to the bemusement of our Balinese guide). In all the time we were there, we saw no tractors or farming equipment. It’s all farmed completely by hand.

IMG_2972

IMG_2986

IMG_2997

IMG_3011

IMG_3012

IMG_3013

IMG_3039

IMG_3043

IMG_3048

IMG_3049

IMG_3050

IMG_3053

IMG_3055

IMG_3058

IMG_3072

IMG_3061-4

IMG_3078

And last but not least, while lounging by the pool, this little guy landed on our towel. While I ran off waving my arms and screaming like a crazy fool, Jord snapped pictures. How incredible are his colours? We also saw a golden ant. I never even knew such a thing existed.

IMG_3119

All images via Wishful Thinking

5 comments

  1. Lucky you! What a beautiful place to visit and, seriously, I have never seen a golden ant either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking super closely - what IS that insect?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so green, wow! I love the rice terraces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, those greens. I can't get enough of them. How could you ever leave?

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!